Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Cristiano Ronaldo - 2014 Ballon d'Or Winner


Cristiano Ronaldo was awarded the 2014 FIFA Ballon d'Or award last night for the second consecutive year at a ceremony held in Zurich.

This was the Real Madrid forwards third Ballon d'Or (2008/2013/2014), as he topped a poll of journalists, international coaches and captains to the title of 'World's Best Player' during the calender year 2014, beating Barcelona striker Lionel Messi and Bayern Munich goalkeeper Manuel Neuer.
Ronaldo has also been runner-up on four occasions (2007/2009/2011/2012).


Ronaldo received 37.66 per cent of all votes, while Messi just pipped Manuel Neuer to second place, with 15.76 per cent compared to 15.72 per cent for Germany's World Cup-winning goalkeeper.
The remaining 30.86 per cent of the votes were split between a number of other players including: Arjen Robben, Thomas Muller, Philipp Lahm and Neymar to name just a few.

Ronaldo's latest success comes on the back of 12 months during which he scored 56 goals in 51 club games for Real Madrid in all competitions, along with 21 assists. Among his 56 club goals he scored a competition-record 17 in Real Madrid's Champions League-winning campaign.
Roanaldo also made 9 appearances for the Portuguese national team, scoring 5 times with one assist.

On receiving the award on stage from guest Thierry Henry, 29 year-old Ronaldo said the following:

"I can see my mother, my family. I would like to thank all those who voted for me. My coach, my fellow player, the President of my club.
It's been an unforgettable year. To win this trophy, a trophy of this kind, is something unique and all I can say is I want to continue working as I have so far, trying to go on to more titles - individual and as a team - for my mother, my father who is up there looking at there any my son.
I want to get better as the days go by. I want to say to all the Portuguese that I never thought I could win this trophy on three different occasions. Of course it is something that is always with me, I want to become one of the greatest players of all time, and this requires a lot so I would like to thank you for all this evening. BOOM!"


Germany national manager Joachim Low won the 'Coach of the Year' award ahead of Real boss Carlo Ancelotti and Diego Simeone of Spanish champions Atletico Madrid.

The Puskas Trophy for the best goal of 2014 went to Columbia's James Rodriguez for his volleyed World Cup goal against Uruguay,
Republic of Ireland women's striker Stephanie Roche was 2nd for her ball juggle and volley for Peamount United, with Robin van Persie third in the public vote for his diving header in Holland's 5-1 win over Spain at the finals.

Wolfsburg captain Nadine Kessler added FIFA's Women's World Player of the Year trophy to the UEFA equivalent she won last year.

Ralf Kellerman also of Wolfsburg won the award FIFA Women’s Football Coach of the Year.


FIFA's World Team of the Year for 2014 was as follows:

Manuel Neuer (Germany/Bayern Munich)
Philipp Lahm (Germany/Bayern Munich), Thiago Silva (Brazil/PSG), David Luiz (Brazil/PSG), Sergio Ramos (Spain/Real Madrid)
Toni Kroos (Germany/Real Madrid), Andrés Iniesta (Spain/Barcelona), Ángel Di Maria (Argentina/Manchester United)
Lionel Messi (Argentina/Barcelona), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal/Real Madrid), Arjen Robben (Netherlands/Bayern Munich).


No comments: