The EA SPORTS PPI (Player Performance Index) is the only official player rating index of the Barclays Premier League which measures a player's all round contribution to the success of his team using six key indices:
The intention is to remove any opinion bias and only work with proven statistical measurements which become more accurate as the season progresses.
Season 2015/16 - Last update: 15/01/16
1. Petr Cech (Arsenal) 272 EA Sports PPI
2. Kasper Schmeichel (Leicester) 258 (right)
3. Jack Butland (Stoke City) 240
4. Hugo Lloris (Tottenham) 221
5. Joe Hart (Man City) 216
6. Tim Howard (Everton) 215
7. Heurelho Gomes (Watford) 211
8. Boaz Myhill (West Brom) 203
9. Adrian (West Ham) 198
10. Simon Mignolet (Liverpool) 197
1. Toby Alderweireld (Tottenham) 330 (below right)
2. Scott Dann (Crystal Palace) 316
3. Aleksandar Kolarov (Man City) 300
4. Bacary Sagna (Man City) 299
5. Eric Dier (Tottenham) 296
6. Aaron Cresswell (West Ham) 295
7. Nacho Monreal (Arsenal) 294
8. Laurent Koscielny (Arsenal) 291
9. Wes Morgan (Leicester) 280
10. Héctor Bellerín (Arsenal) 272
1. Riyad Mahrez (Leicester) 612
2. Mesut Özil (Arsenal) 476
3. Ross Barkley (Everton) 452
4. Georginio Wijnaldum (Newcastle) 395
5. Yaya Toure (Man City) 388
6. Aaron Ramsey (Arsenal) 382
7. Kevin De Bruyne (Man City) 371
8. Dele Alli (Tottenham) 347
9. Dimitri Payet (West Ham) 345
10. Christian Eriksen (Tottenham) 329
1. Jamie Vardy (Leicester) 550
2. Odion Ighalo (Watford) 510
3. Harry Kane (Tottenham) 509
4. Romelu Lukaku (Everton) 506
5. Olivier Giroud (Arsenal) 380
6. Raheem Sterling (Man City) 344
7. Troy Deeney (Watford) 327
8. Marko Arnautovic (Stoke) 325 (right)
9. Jermain Defoe (Sunderland) 310
10. Alexis Sánchez (Arsenal) 309
The Six Key Indices:
1. Winning Performance
Players receive points for time on the pitch in a successful team. Players will receive more points if they play the full 90 minutes in a winning team. This index shares league points won by a team between the players according to the minutes they are on the pitch. Only time on the pitch and points scored are taken into account in this first index.
2. Player's Performance per match
Players receive points for positive influences on a winning performance (shots on target, tackles, clearances, saves etc). Players have points taken away from their score for negative actions such as shots off target and receiving yellow and/or red cards.
Players receive points for minutes on the pitch. The number of points won by ALL teams in the Barclays Premier League are divided among the players according to the number of minutes they have played. This does not take into account the result of a match, it awards points purely for playing time.
4. Goals scored
Players are awarded points for scoring goals. These points are only given to the goalscorer.
Players are awarded points for assists. These points are only awarded to players that make the assist.
Assists are awarded to the player from the goal scoring team who makes the last touch before the goal is scored.
If after this touch, an opposing player touches the ball outside the penalty area altering the intended destination of the ball, then no assist is given, except if this intervention directly results in an own goal.
In the event of a penalty or free-kick, the player earning the penalty or free-kick gets an assist if a goal is directly scored, but not if he takes it himself, in which case no assist is given.
6. Clean sheets
Allocates points for clean sheets to the whole team. The proportionate split of the points is weighted according to the player's position. Therefore a goalkeeper will be awarded a greater proportion of the points for keeping a clean sheet than a striker. The points are also awarded proportionately to the time spent on the pitch.
N.B. The overall EA SPORTS PPI is a correlation between all of the above indices. The Index only includes actions that can be measured objectively and does not reward one action more than another (e.g. a pass by a midfielder will not gain more points than a tackle made by a defender). Subjective factors relating to individual players' skill levels or evidence of a specific flair, such as a particularly spectacular pass or goal, are not included within the index.